Applications are invited for the position of Secretary of the British Association for International and Comparative Education (BAICE).
BAICE Secretary – Job Specification
The Secretary is a key position on the BAICE Executive Committee and carries full voting rights. The role is voluntary but offers an excellent opportunity to contribute to the strategic direction of a diverse, thriving and respected professional association.
All officers of the Executive Committee work closely together and are expected to attend meetings held three times per year (usually November/December, February/March and May/June) and contribute actively to the association.
The responsibilities of this post include:
- Working closely with the Chair and Vice-Chair to organise three Executive Committee meetings per year, develop the agenda, collate reports from the Executive Committee, and take minutes;
- Arranging the Annual General Meeting during the BAICE/UKFIET conference in September, including compiling the agenda, notifying the membership, taking minutes and sharing these with all members;
- Liaising with the BAICE Support Officer and Web Master to keep members up to date about BAICE opportunities and other scholarly activities promoted by BAICE;
- Coordinating the recruitment of new members to the Executive Committee;
- Maintaining the records of the association;
- Other duties as required and appropriate in agreement with the Chair.
The Secretary is expected to have the following skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the field of International and Comparative Education;
- Proven experience in an administrative role;
- Excellent skills of personal organisation and ability to work to deadlines;
- Exemplary written English and oral communication skills;
- Proactivity and ability to work independently;
- Ability to contribute constructively and professionally as a member of the Executive Committee.
We are seeking to appoint a Secretary to take up post in August 2020 until September 2022. You must be able to attend the next AGM (late September 2020, exact date TBC) which will likely be held online due to Covid-19 restrictions on travel. We welcome applications from suitable candidates at any career stage, but you must be in a position to attend the quarterly BAICE Executive Committee meetings/AGM and be affiliated to a UK university. Please note that these are currently online meetings but may revert to in-person meetings (usually held in London) in due course. Applicants must be current BAICE members.
To apply, please send a CV, letters of support from two referees, plus a cover letter of no more than two pages, explaining why you are interested in the role and outlining how your skills match those set out above to email@example.com by midnight on Friday 17th July 2020.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application within three weeks of the deadline. The handover will officially take place at the AGM in September with one month spent working alongside the current Secretary in advance of this date.