The British Association for International and Comparative Education (BAICE) seeks to appoint an Editorial Assistant for Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education. Expression of interest are invited from suitable candidates.
We are looking for a dedicated editorial assistant who will work closely with the editors to organise and support the peer review process of the papers submitted to the journal. Ideally, the candidate should be willing to commit to this role for at least 3 years. The work will take 8 to 12 hours per week with payment based on actual hours worked (at a rate of GBP24 per hour gross, i.e. before tax and NI). The position will be UK based and will involve travel across the UK to attend editorial board meetings.
The application should include:
1) a statement (300 words), outlining relevant experience and motivation for the job
2) a CV
Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 January 2021, putting “application for editorial assistant” in the subject line.
Editorial Assistant: Main Duties
- To check all articles submitted to Compare via Scholar One to ensure that they meet the criteria for consideration and to contact authors if they do not
- To direct articles to the relevant editor for academic scrutiny and to act upon her/his decision
- To issue invitations to reviewers and to monitor responses, liaising, as appropriate with the editors
- To monitor the reviewing and resubmission process of submitted papers and alert editors to decisions that need to be taken and reviewers that need to be selected.
- To respond to author queries and refer these to the relevant editor as necessary
- To monitor the College of Reviewers, adding and removing reviewers as necessary
- To support editors to record podcasts with selected authors of published articles.
- To liaise with the publisher with regard to relevant production processes, including the assembling of each issue
- To oversee membership of the Editorial Board and International Advisory Board, to alert editors when the period of membership is due to expire and to communicate with members as directed by the editors
- To arrange Editorial Board meetings, usually 3 per year, in conjunction with the editors and Chair of the Editorial Board, to prepare and distribute papers and to take minutes of the meetings
- To prepare statistical information for the Editors’ Report and for Editorial Board meetings
- To be the named contact for applicants for the annual Compare Fellowship
- Facilitating the Compare writing workshop
- A BA degree in a relevant field
- Experience in using software for administrative purposes
- An excellent command of English and ability to respond to emails in a professional manner
- A commitment to precision and accuracy
- An ability to take prompt action and monitor deadlines
- Experience of working in international settings and cross-cultural communication
- A curiosity in the world of academic publishing
- Familiarity with online paper submission programmes such as Scholar One
- Experience in academic publishing
- A postgraduate degree in education or social sciences
- An interest in the field of comparative and international education