Compare Fellowship 2022-2023: Call for Applications
Compare is a leading journal of international and comparative education, publishing eight issues a year of high quality articles on diverse issues of educational policy and practice around the world. It is the official journal of the British Association of International and Comparative Education (BAICE), which works to support activities of research, teaching and collaboration in the field. In order to maintain its significant global standing, one of Compare’s missions is to develop the diversity of its authorship, and support underrepresented groups, in light of the significant inequalities of global academic publishing. For this reason, it established in 2017 an annual Compare Fellowship, to support early career academics from the Global South in disseminating their research and scholarship to a global audience.
The fellowship will run from 1 September 2022 – 31 August 2023 and provide full financial support (including travel, accommodation and subsistence) for the following activities:
- Attending and presenting at the BAICE conference in Edinburgh, UK, 13 – 15 September 2022 (subject to COVID restrictions)
- Attending the Compare writers’ workshop at the conference (a full-day course for early career researchers)
- 2 – 4 week stay at an institution in the UK following the conference (to carry out library research, attend academic events, interact with colleagues and develop publication ideas with the guidance of a mentor)
While in their country of origin, the Compare Fellow will be expected to engage in the following activities:
- Participating in e-mentoring
- Developing an article for Compare
- Facilitating the organization of activities to support academic writing for other academics in their institution/country
- Participating in Compare as a reviewer
Requirements of applicants
- To be based currently in a university in a low-income country (according to the World Bank classification )
- To have completed their doctoral degree within the last six years
- To be teaching or researching in the field of education
All applicants should send the following documents via email to ku.ca1669896541.ecia1669896541b@era1669896541pmoc1669896541
- CV / resume (including qualifications, professional experience and publications)
- Supporting statement of 1000 words (outlining research interests, publication trajectory to date and future plans, and potential benefits of the fellowship for themselves and their institutions/countries)
- Abstract for a conference presentation on a research topic of their choice (300 words)
If contact has already been made with a potential institution and mentor in the UK, then candidates should state this; however, it is not essential to have arranged this beforehand.
The deadline for applications is 8 April, 2022
For further information, please contact Emma Arya-Manesh, ku.ca1669896541.ecia1669896541b@era1669896541pmoc1669896541
 Yemen, Mali, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Guinea Bissau, Burkina Faso, Uganda, Gambia, Chad, Togo, Eritrea, Niger, Sudan, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Afghanistan, DR Congo, Central African Republic, Madagascar, Mozambique, Somalia.