The British Association for International and Comparative Education (BAICE) is recruiting sub-theme co-convenors for the Conference Committee for BAICE 2022
BAICE 2022 will be held in Edinburgh between 13th – 15th September 2022. The overarching theme of the conference is: Partnerships in education: collaboration, co-operation and co-optation
BAICE 2022 will critically consider the changing relationships around how education is conceptualised, planned, implemented, provided, resisted, researched, and communicated in various contexts. While recognising the potential value of collaboration, we intend to challenge the normative, aspirational pursuit of partnership.
There are six sub-themes:
- Global/local (dis)connections in education partnerships
- Experiencing education partnerships
- Technology and education partnerships
- Partnerships in education financing
- Partnerships in conflict contexts
- Open theme (papers that do not necessarily link to one of the sub-themes but have a clear resonance with the overarching conference theme – please note that this sub-theme will not have co-convenors so please do not apply to co-convene this theme)
Each sub-theme will be led by two co-convenors. One from the BAICE Executive Committee and one from an external organisation or institution, or an independent consultant active in the field of international and comparative education.
The Conference Committee will be made up of the co-chairs, Dr Jingyi Li (University of Edinburgh) and Dr Alison Buckler (The Open University), a conference manager, and up to twelve sub-theme co-convenors.
The role of the Co-convenors will include:
- Contributing to the overall conference strategy through email and regular attendance at conference planning meetings. Meetings will be primarily online until further notice.
- To work with the partnering co-convenor and the conference committee to develop a brief narrative for the sub-theme which will establish the criteria for abstracts submitted under that sub-theme.
- To review submitted abstracts for their sub-theme.
- To organise sessions for their sub-theme in consultation with the conference committee to ensure a coherent programme, including identifying and contacting chairs and contributors for sessions within their sub-theme.
- To support contingency planning in the event that the conference will need to move to be fully online as a result of Covid-19.
- To oversee the smooth running of conference sessions within their sub-theme
- To contribute a short blog piece for the BAICE blog on a key idea from within their sub-theme. This will be used to promote the conference.
In recognition of the time and effort required in the role of co-convenor, BAICE will cover the full cost of conference attendance including three days of registration, accommodation and subsistence, and standard class travel from within the UK.
We invite expressions of interest in this role from colleagues working in the field of international and comparative education. Applicants must be a member of BAICE, or willing to join the association if invited onto the conference committee. Please send a summary CV (maximum two pages) and a short note (maximum one page) outlining your expertise and the sub-theme you would like to be considered for (more information about the sub-themes will be published on the BAICE Conference page on the website). Please email these to the BAICE Secretary, Dr Jennifer Agbaire, by Friday 5th November 2021.